Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Recent Blog Posts

What is the extreme hardship waiver?

 Posted on January 01, 2022 in green cards

An immigration waiver can help you to get a visa for yourself or a loved one in circumstances where you may otherwise be unable to. Getting a waiver is not an easy process, but if you meet the requirements and can provide all required information and documentation, it can be a blessing.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains one wavier option is for extreme hardship.

The waiver

The extreme hardship waiver is available in situations where the refusal of a visa to a person would cause serious problems for a family member who is a citizen or lawful legal resident. Extreme hardship can mean different things depending on your situation. For example, if the reason you need a waiver is more serious, then the hardship your family is facing must be more serious.

The authority

The Secretary of Homeland Security has the right to issue extreme hardship waivers.

Continue Reading ››

What do you know about replacing your green card?

 Posted on January 01, 2022 in green cards

Recently, you received your green card and all the benefits it offers. As time goes on, you may need to replace your card to remain a lawful permanent U.S. resident.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services breaks down the basics of replacing your green card. Understand how to maintain your status and have one less thing to worry about.

When to get a replacement green card

After you become a lawful permanent resident, certain situations may require you to replace your green card. Such situations include when your current green card expires or expires in six months, you received your card before turning 14 and turn 14 soon, commuters take up residence in the U.S. and permanent U.S. residents become commuters. You must also apply for a new green card if your current card becomes mutilated, damaged, destroyed or stolen.

Continue Reading ››

Which travel documents do you need?

 Posted on December 01, 2021 in naturalization & citizenship

You may need to travel to another country as an immigrant or while you await the processing of your application. In this case, you must ensure you have the necessary travel documents to legally return to this country.

In general, there are four documents travelers need, including advance parole, refugee travel document, re-entry permit, and carrier documentation. It is important to get these documents organized before your trip, as it can prevent any delays when or issues when re-entering the country.

Advance parole

Advance parole documents take the place of a visa, as airlines will accept them when it comes to re-entry into the U.S. However, you will also need to have a passport. Advance parole doanother re-entry documentcuments are necessary for people with pending applications when registering as a permanent resident or awaiting adjustment of status. It is also required for asylum seekers to await a decision on their applications.

Continue Reading ››

House passes Build Back Better act with immigration reform

 Posted on December 01, 2021 in family-based immigration

In December, the House passed a version of the Build Back Better act that reforms family-based immigration waivers. The act will now go to the Senate for final approval.

Learn how Build Back Better could improve the waiver process for your family if it becomes law.

New adjustment of status requirements

Under the new law, family-based applications for adjustment of status could apply right away. You must pay a fee of $1,500 along with $250 for each additional dependent. Currently, you must wait for a visa to become available in your category before applying for an adjustment of status.

New waiver program

The House-approved version of Build Back Better also includes a new waiver program. It would waive numerical visa limits for those who have already applied for an adjustment of status and have an assigned priority date at least two years before the waiver application date. The supplemental fee for the new waiver is $2,500.

Continue Reading ››

Steps to take when you have a pending green card application

 Posted on November 01, 2021 in green cards

It is no secret that immigration laws have a high level of complexity. This rings true if you hope to get a green card for any of the valid reasons available to you.

Even after you have successfully applied, you still need to follow certain steps to make sure your application remains active.

Stay engaged

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services emphasizes the importance of keeping a current address on file with the agency. While this seems like a simple task, failure to do so could result in missed information that is crucial to your application.

It is not enough to change your address with the U.S. Postal Service. You should update your address with USCIS. You should do this within 10 days of your move. The agency has a change of address information page that allows you to perform this action quickly.

Continue Reading ››

Your green card and your career

 Posted on November 01, 2021 in green cards

Wanting to gain U.S. citizenship can motivate you to get a job and learn more about your new home. Having a green card can facilitate your effort to pass the naturalization requirements.

The advantage of having a green card is that you do not have to wait until you have citizenship to start working in the United States.

Participate in your community

The process of obtaining a green card is easiest when you have another family member who already has U.S. citizenship. With their help, you can petition for legal residency of your own. Once granted, you can apply for your own social security card, as well as follow the requirements to get a driver’s license. Both of these privileges allow you to actively participate in your community.

Finding a job can give you purpose and keep you motivated as you continue through the naturalization process. You can utilize community resources to draft a resume. Strategically list your skills and competencies. Using job search engines, as well as networking with other community members, may enable you to identify potential jobs.

Continue Reading ››

What are joint sponsors?

 Posted on October 01, 2021 in fiancé visas

If you opt for a K-1 fiancé visa, then one of the most important parts is the ability to meet the corresponding income requirement. The sponsor – in this case, the fiancé – must have the financial means to support their spouse.

If you cannot support your significant other in this case, what can you do? You can turn to a joint sponsor. This person is a third party that agrees to sign an affidavit, stating they will support the sponsor.

What is joint sponsorship?

RapidVisa discusses your options when aiming for joint sponsorship, along with discussing what goal this option serves. You can pick certain people to serve as your joint sponsor, but they must meet certain requirements first. They must be at least 18 years old and either have permanent residency or be a citizen of the United States. On top of that, they need a domicile in the country and also meet the minimum income requirements of the K-1 visa.

Continue Reading ››

Is it hard to prepare for the naturalization test?

 Posted on October 01, 2021 in naturalization & citizenship

Completing the naturalization test is one of the final steps in your journey to becoming a citizen of the United States of America. As with any test, the more you prepare, the higher your probability of passing.

Knowing some preparation strategies can optimize your studying efforts. With a confident understanding of the testing materials, you can have a winning chance at a satisfactory outcome.

Testing components

The naturalization test will assess your understanding of critical aspects of citizenship. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you will complete the test in two parts. The English portion of the test will give you an opportunity to show your ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the language. The civics portion of the test will determine your understanding of basic governmental principles, as well as the history of the U.S.

Continue Reading ››

How long does it take to get a green card?

 Posted on September 01, 2021 in green cards

For those who are not born in the United States, obtaining permanent residence may seem overwhelming. Whether you have a close family member who has already achieved permanent residence, or your family member is a U.S. citizen, there are steps you must follow in order to complete the immigration process.

Not only is it helpful to understand these steps and the green card application process, it helps to know just how long the entire process will take.

What is the timeline?

The process of achieving a family-based green card varies depending on the circumstances of your situation. According to Boundless, the following are general timelines for more common situations:

  • You currently live in the United States and your spouse is a U.S. citizen: 10-13 months
  • You currently live outside the U.S. and your spouse is a U.S. citizen: 11-17 months

    Continue Reading ››

How do you immigrate when your sponsor dies?

 Posted on September 01, 2021 in naturalization & citizenship

We hope all goes well with your immigration, but unforeseen circumstances could bring your plans to a standstill. For instance, what happens if your U.S. sponsor/spouse dies before you receive your visa?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains how to navigate a principal beneficiary or petitioners’ death. This turn of events does not have to bar you from fulfilling your desires for citizenship.

Widowers and widows

Widows and widowers of U.S. citizens may apply for a green card within two years of their petitioning spouse’s or principal beneficiary’s death. This only applies if the two of you had a legitimate marriage rather than one arranged for a green card. If you and your petitioner or beneficiary separated when she or he died, or if you remarried, you do not qualify to apply for a green card. If you have children younger than 21, they may join you as derivatives.

Continue Reading ››

Back to Top