Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Frequently Asked Questions About Immigration

Plano Immigration Attorney

At the Law Office of Jae Lee, our skilled lawyer handles a wide variety of immigration matters. We understand the immigration laws in the United States can be incredibly complex and confusing. However, we also realize that any oversight or mistake in a visa application or petition for a Green Card can cause many months or more of unnecessary delays. With this in mind, we offer guidance on some of the most common questions we hear from our clients.

Q. What is a visa?

A. In the context of immigration, a U.S. visa is a document that allows a foreign national to enter the United States legally. There are many different kinds of visas, but they are generally divided into two main categories: non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas. Non-immigrant visas allow foreign nationals to live, work, study, or visit in the U.S. temporarily, while immigrant visas are for those who intend to remain in the United States permanently.

Q. What type of visa do I need?

A. The type of visa that you need will depend on your reasons for coming to the United States. For example, if you plan to come to the U.S. for school, a student visa is likely to be appropriate while a tourist visa would be suitable if you wish to vacation in the United States. Visas are also available for work-related purposes, as well as to family members of current U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents. A qualified immigration lawyer can help you determine the right visa for your situation.

Q. How do I get my Green Card?

A. This question could also be stated as, "How do I become a lawful permanent resident of the United States?" A foreign national who has obtained an immigrant visa is generally eligible to apply for lawful permanent resident status. Obtaining this status is commonly known as "getting a green card." Non-immigrant visa holders can apply for a Green Card through an Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing. A lawful permanent resident is allowed to live and work permanently in the United States, but many Green Card holders eventually take steps toward becoming a U.S. citizen through naturalization.

Q. I have a Green Card. How do I become a U.S. citizen?

A. There are many requirements that must be met in order to become a U.S. citizen. The specific requirements will depend on the situation, but if you are a lawful permanent resident, you are generally eligible to apply for citizenship through naturalization. You will need to have lived in the U.S. for five years, in most cases, and "physical presence" criteria may apply. You must also be proficient in English, as well as American government and history. Finally, you must be of good moral character. If you have questions about becoming a U.S. citizen, our team can help you find the answers.

Q. What if my visa application is denied?

A. If you applied for a visa and your application was denied, the first thing you should do is contact our skilled lawyer. We will help you determine why you received a denial and what can be done about it. In some cases, applying for a Waiver of Inadmissibility is the best course of action. In others, you may be better off filing an entirely new application.

Contact a Qualified Immigration Attorney

If you have more specific questions about the immigration process or the immigration laws of the United States, contact our office to get the answers. Call 972-905-2170 for a free consultation to discuss the details of your unique situations today. At the Law Office of Jae Lee, we are proud to help individuals and families pursue their "American Dreams" through immigration. We assist clients from our office locations in Plano and Dallas.

Back to Top