Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Dallas Adjustment of Status Attorney

Dallas, TX Attorney Helping with Immigration Status

Lawyer in North Texas for Immigration Status Adjustments

If a foreign citizen desires to establish permanent residency in the United States, they may submit an application for Adjustment of Status. This allows a person with a temporary visa to modify their immigration status, becoming a lawful permanent resident (LPR) and allowing them to receive a Green Card. To be eligible for adjustment of status, an immigrant must ensure that they meet the required criteria when applying. If you are looking to adjust your immigration status and become a permanent resident of the United States, it is advisable to work with an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through every step of this process and ensure that all forms and documents are submitted correctly.

At the Law Office of Jae Lee, no immigration matter is too complicated for our team of professionals. We have secured visas and Green Cards on behalf of countless applicants. We also provide legal counsel in other matters related to immigration, such as waivers of inadmissibility or obtaining U.S. citizenship. With our understanding of the immigration laws in the United States, we can answer your questions, advise you of your options, and provide you with representation as you address any issues that you may encounter.

Who Can Apply for Adjustment of Status?

To be eligible to adjust their status, an individual must first be living in the United States with a valid immigration status. This means that they must have legally entered the U.S., and their current visa must be valid and unexpired. A person will also need to be sure they meet all the eligibility requirements to become an LPR, and a visa must be available immediately through sponsorship by a family member or employer or through other avenues. Immigrant visas and adjustment of status may be an option for people who fall into the following categories:

  • Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens or LPRs - Spouses, unmarried minor children, and parents may be eligible for adjustment of status through sponsorship by a U.S. citizen or LPR. Citizens can provide sponsorship for Immediate Relative (IR) visas, and Green Card holders can provide sponsorship for Family Preference (F) visas. When a visa is available for a family member who is already in the United States, the person can apply for adjustment of status and receive a Green Card.
  • Fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens - A citizens may apply for a K visa to bring their foreign fiancé(e) to the United States in order to become legally married. After they tie the knot, an application for adjustment of status can be submitted. Green Cards issues in these cases will be conditional, and the couple will need to apply for the removal of conditions after two years.
  • Crime victims - For victims of abuse, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) provides immediate family members of U.S. citizens or Green Card holders with a pathway to adjust their status and obtain legal protection for themselves and their family members. Additionally, an immigrant who has been the victim of other types of crime may apply for a U visa, and if they cooperate with law enforcement in the investigation and prosecution of the offense, they will be able to continue living in the United States, and they will eventually be eligible for adjustment of status as well.
  • Refugees and people claiming asylum - Immigrants who have experienced persecution or who are at risk of suffering harm if they are returned to their home countries may apply for protections that will allow them to live and work in the United States. After successfully attaining refugee or asylum status, an individual may submit an application for adjustment of their status once they have lived in the U.S. for one year.

A "90-day rule" will usually be followed when applications for adjustment of status are submitted. After being approved for a non-immigrant visa, such as a visitor, student, or temporary employment visa, a person generally cannot apply for adjustment of status until they have been present in the United States for at least 90 days. Attempts to commit immigration fraud, such as entering into a marriage solely for the purpose of gaining LPR status, may result in the denial of adjustment of status and the revocation of a temporary visa.

Contact Our Plano Adjustment of Status Lawyer

Our team is here to help guide you through the immigration process, and we can make sure you follow the correct steps to apply for adjustment of status and receive a Green Card. Give us a call at 214-295-3014 or fill out an online contact form to set up a free consultation today. We have offices in Dallas and Plano, and we assist with multiple types of immigration matters in the DFW area and throughout all of North Texas.

Back to Top