Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

As someone who is interested in becoming a U.S. citizen so you can live in Texas or another part of the nation, you may be able to do so through a process known as naturalization. At the Law Office of Jae Lee, I am well-versed in the process involved in becoming a citizen through naturalization, and I have helped many clients navigate this and a range of other immigration-related issues.

According to, there are a number of importanteligibility requirementsyou must meet before you are able to move forward with your efforts to become a U.S. citizen. For starters, you must be at least 18 at the time of your filing, and you must also have the ability to read, write and communicate using the English language. Additionally, you also have to be an individual of strong moral character in order to undergo consideration for citizenship.

Furthermore, your situation must meet one of two distinct circumstances in order for you to move forward in your quest for citizenship. You must either have a Permanent Resident Green Card that you have held for at least five years or, conversely, if you are filing as the spouse of a current U.S. citizen, you need to have had a Permanent Resident Green Card for at least three years before you may move forward.


How can you apply for your SSN?

Posted on in Firm News

If you are a Texas resident and received your citizenship through a K-1 Visa or through a work permit, you need a Social Security Number. Without a SSN, you cannot report your earnings to the U.S government. If you are not sure how to apply for your SSN, then you are not alone. Fortunately, the SSA makes the whole process simple.

If you apply to work within the U.S, the SSA states that you can apply for anSSN cardat the same time. The application for employment authorization contains a section that allows you to request your SSN. When the USCIS approves the application, the SSA issues you the SSN card. If you already have an SSN, then you receive a replacement card.

In a case where you do not request an SSN in this form, then you can visit the SSA office in person.There, you can apply for an SSN once you have employment authorization. If you plan to request your Social Security Number, there are documents that you need. These documents include:


If you want to immigrate to the United States to reunite with your family members, there are many steps to take. You will have to fill out forms, complete interviews and pay fees.

You will also likely need to complete a medical examination before your arrival in the U.S. But do you wonder about what that exam will cover and which tests the doctor will perform?

3 questions you might have about your exam


Texas is home to tens of thousands of immigrants. Each person’s journey to the United States is unique although many people’s experiences share certain issues in common. For instance, a great number of people enter the U.S. through the family immigration system.

This means that a U.S. citizen or someone who has green card status can petition the government on behalf of a family member to help him or her obtain a green card as well. Family members entering the U.S. on a family-based visa often include spouses, siblings, parents or children of petitioners. As with most immigration programs, there are strict requirements involved that must be fulfilled in order to process the proper documents.

It can be quite helpful to seek guidance and support from someone who is well-versed in U.S. immigration law and, in particular, the family immigration process. Filing applications, answering interview questions and making sure all legal status paperwork is in order can be highly stressful. Relying on an experienced immigration attorney throughout the process can help alleviate such stress.


That immigration is a complex matter is no secret. Whether you are trying to bring your fiancé to America, work in the United States or get your Green Card, the application process can seem demanding. Appeals may seem to take forever. And denials can often put hope to the test.

Regardless of your adjustment of status, you may not understand what rights you have. According to a professor from Yale Law School, Cristina Rodriguez, the U.S. Constitution applies to undocumented immigrants. Rather than “citizen,” the Constitution often refers to “person” or “people.” Therefore, Rodriguez says the rights apply to you, regardless of citizenship.

How rights might apply to you

Back to Top