Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Dallas Family-Based Immigration Lawyer

Dallas County Attorneys Helping with Family Visas

Attorney for Family Visas Serving Dallas County and the Surrounding Areas

At the Law Office of Jae Lee, we understand how intimidating and complex the immigration laws in the United States can be. For families who are looking to address issues related to immigration, it is essential to get legal help from a qualified and experienced attorney. We are dedicated to helping individuals and families throughout North Texas navigate these tricky waters, and we work to help them achieve their goals without any added stress or worry. Our team is here to assist you and your family in securing visas in a wide range of scenarios, and we can put our experience, knowledge, and resources to work to ensure that immigration-related issues will be handled correctly.

Attorney Jae Lee has extensive experience helping families address immigration concerns. He and his team understand how to identify and address any issues that families may encounter, and by taking the correct steps ahead of time, we can help ensure that these factors will not turn into major roadblocks in the immigration process. Our goal is to help you and your loved ones live together in the United States and pursue the opportunities that are available to the country's residents.

Assisting Texas Families With Immigration Issues

The immigration laws in the United States allow both U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have valid Green Cards to bring certain family members to the country through a range of family-based visas. Sponsoring family members can apply for visas and Green Cards on behalf of their loved ones, as long as they meet the necessary legal requirements.

The process followed in family-based immigration cases will begin when a sponsoring family member in the U.S. submits a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Upon acceptance of the petition, the family may apply for the applicable visas. When an immigrant visa is approved, a person can apply for a Green Card. Multiple types of documents will need to be filed during this process, including proof of family relationships, evidence that immigrants have met vaccination requirements, and an Affidavit of Sponsorship showing that the sponsor will be able to financially support their family members.

Eligibility for Immediate Relative and Family Preference Visas

Families have several options when applying for immigration visas. Immediate Relative visas allow U.S. citizens to bring their immediate family members to the United States. Eligible family members include a person's spouse, minor children who are unmarried, and parents. Since there are not any limits or quotas for the number of Immediate Relative visas that may be approved each year, and there are no waiting periods needed, these visas provide an efficient way for families to live together in the United States.

In situations where family members do not qualify for Immediate Relative visas, Family Preference visas may be available. The U.S. government has authorized a limited number of Family Preference visas to be approved each year. Visas are issued according to a preference system, which is based on the relationship between the sponsor and the family members who are seeking to enter the United States. The following preference categories are used:

  • First preference - Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens. Children in this category must be over the age of 21.
  • Second preference - Immediate relatives of lawful permanent residents. These include spouses, unmarried minor children, and unmarried adult children. Minor children are generally given a higher preference than adult children.
  • Third preference - Married children of U.S. citizens.
  • Fourth preference - Siblings (brothers or sisters) of U.S. citizens.

People in the United States cannot sponsor other types of relatives for immigration, including aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, or people related to them by marriage.

Visas for Fiancés of U.S. Citizens

A U.S. citizen who is engaged to someone from another country can apply for a K visa, which is often referred to as a fiancé visa. This will allow for entry into the United States so that the couple can become legally married. K visas are technically considered to be non-immigrant visas, but after the marriage occurs, the foreign-born spouse can apply for a Green Card. In these situations, a Green Card will be conditional, and a couple must apply for the removal of conditions after two years.

Contact Our Plano Family Immigration Attorney

Family-based immigration matters can be complex, and there are various paths that families may use as U.S. citizens or Green Card holders provide sponsorship for their loved ones in other countries. At the Law Office of Jae Lee, we can provide helpful guidance for families at every step along their immigration journey. For more information about our legal services, contact us at 214-295-3014 to schedule a complimentary consultation. We provide legal help to clients from our offices in Dallas and Plano.

Back to Top