Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Marriage to a US citizen does not always lead to a green card

 Posted on February 01, 2019 in green cards

Many Texas households include family members who are U.S. citizens who happen to be married to spouses who are not. The federal government often calls such marriages into question if it has reason to suspect that a relationship is fraudulent and that two people have gotten married simply to help one of them obtain permanent resident legal status. A non-citizen marrying a citizen, however, doesn’t necessarily mean that person will gain green card privileges.

A person who marries a born or naturalized citizen has the option of petitioning the federal government for a green card. Numerous documents must be submitted to request permanent residency. Requesting permanent resident status is not a legal obligation; in fact, an immigrant spouse should only do so if he or she plans to remain in the United States on a permanent basis.

Immigration laws can be quite complex. If a person files a petition for a green card based on a marriage to a U.S. citizen, he or she will want to seek clarification of all regulations pertaining to travel in and out of the country. While some statuses allow for traveling abroad and returning to the United States after marrying a citizen and filing application for a green card, others do not.

The best thing to do to avoid confusion is to ask an experienced Texas immigration law attorney to explain the requirements and laws pertaining to green card application as an immigrant married to a U.S. citizen. An attorney can also provide effective guidance and strong support to help overcome any legal obstacles that arise during or after the application process. If a marriage is called into question, it is definitely wise to request legal support.

Share this post:
Back to Top