Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Can you extend a K-1 visa?

 Posted on May 01, 2021 in fiancé visas

If you are currently engaged to a foreign fiance(e), you could have a number of options when it comes to your marriage and immigration. For example, if you want to bring them to the U.S. in order to get married in the states, you should look into the K-1 visa for fiance(e)s of U.S. citizens.

There are various factors to review with respect to K-1 visas. For example, you need to go over different requirements and recognize that there are time limits in place. After your fiance(e) comes to the U.S., you must marry within 90 days in order for them to continue living in the country.

Do K-1 visas expire?

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, K-1 visas expire after 90 days. If you marry your fiance(e) within this timeframe, they can apply for a green card in order to continue living in the U.S. However, if you fail to get married within 90 days, the K-1 visa expires and your fiance(e) will likely need to leave the country.

What happens if your fiance(e) does not leave?

If your fiance(e) does not leave the U.S. after his or her K-1 visa expires, they could lose eligibility for immigration benefits in the future. Moreover, they could face deportation. These hardships could place a significant amount of strain on your relationship and affect you down the road.

However, there are various reasons why couples fail to get married within 90 days. If you and your fiance(e) get married at a later point in time, they can apply for a green card in order to live with you in the U.S.

Share this post:
Back to Top