Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Which travel documents do you need?

 Posted on December 01, 2021 in naturalization & citizenship

You may need to travel to another country as an immigrant or while you await the processing of your application. In this case, you must ensure you have the necessary travel documents to legally return to this country.

In general, there are four documents travelers need, including advance parole, refugee travel document, re-entry permit, and carrier documentation. It is important to get these documents organized before your trip, as it can prevent any delays when or issues when re-entering the country.

Advance parole

Advance parole documents take the place of a visa, as airlines will accept them when it comes to re-entry into the U.S. However, you will also need to have a passport. Advance parole doanother re-entry documentcuments are necessary for people with pending applications when registering as a permanent resident or awaiting adjustment of status. It is also required for asylum seekers to await a decision on their applications.

Refugee travel document

Asylum seekers and people with refugee status must carry these documents while traveling. This is true whether the person has a green card that renders them a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.

Re-entry permit

The length of time you plan on being away from the U.S. also plays a role in the type of travel documents you need. For extended trips lasting one year or longer, travelers must have a re-entry permit. This document means you can return to the country without needing to apply for a returning resident visa.

Carrier documentation

In the event you lose your green card or other re-entry document, you must have carrier documentation. Airlines and other transportation carriers accept these documents to show you can legally enter the country, even though you currently lack a green card.

Share this post:
Back to Top