Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

What steps are involved when bringing your fiancé to the United States?

 Posted on April 01, 2020 in naturalization & citizenship

Fiancé(e) visas allow a person to bring their partner to the U.S. for the purpose of marrying them. You must follow certainsteps when bringing your future spouseto this country for the first time, or you may be subject to denial. Being aware of each step in the process improves the chance that the visa will be approved.

Petition for fiancé(e)

Form I-129F is used to establish a relationship between you and your partner. The form is submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, who may ask you for further information about your relationship. The desire for marriage must be considered valid and not simply being pursued to gain entry to this country. If approved, the form is forwarded to the U.S. Department of State.

Visa application

Your fiancé must apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa at the nearest consulate or embassy, which will also have a copy of the approved Form I-129F. Along with submitting the proper forms, your partner will also undergo an interview.

Inspection at a port of entry

If your partner receives his or her K-1 nonimmigrant visa, that does not mean automatic entry into the U.S. After arriving at a port of entry, an officer with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection will perform an inspection. This inspection finally determines whether your spouse is permitted entry.

Marriage & adjustment of status

It is required that the marriage takes place within 90 days of the receipt of a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. The non-citizen spouse can then file for a Green Card, which entails filing Form I-485. If your marriage is less than two years old, your spouse will receive a conditional visa (which makes the Green Card valid for a period of two years). Recipients are permitted to apply to remove conditions after 90 days after receiving the visa.

Share this post:
Back to Top