Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

What happens after you get a fiancé visa?

 Posted on January 01, 2020 in naturalization & citizenship

It is impossible to tell your heart what it wants. If you fell in love with someone who happens to not be a U.S. citizen, then the chances are good that you will one day want him or her to come to Texas so that you can marry. The easiest way to bring your partner into the country is with a fiancé visa or a K-1 visa.

The point of this visa, according to the U.S. Department of State, is to allow your partner toenter the country for the main purpose of marrying you. Once immigration authorities approve your fiancé’svisa,  heor she will get a packet of sealed documents along with the visa and his or her passport. The sealed packet contains the documents he or she turned in during the visa application process and some additional documents from the U.S. Embassy.

Your fiancé should not open the sealed packet. This is very important because the packet must have the seal in place when he or she presents it to the DHS immigration official who is at the point of entry when your fiancé comes to the country. The official must receive this packet, the visa and your fiancé’s passport.

Do keep in mind that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection can deny entry even with a visa. It is important to have all the documents at the time of entry to avoid issues. In addition, if your fiancé has children that he or she wants to bring into the country, then they can get a K-2 visa, but they must enter after or at the same time as your fiancé.

The visa is valid for six months after the issue date, so your fiancé should be ready to come to the U.S. fairly quickly. Once he or she enters the country, you have 90 days in which to marry. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

Share this post:
Back to Top