Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

What are joint sponsors?

 Posted on October 01, 2021 in fiancé visas

If you opt for a K-1 fiancé visa, then one of the most important parts is the ability to meet the corresponding income requirement. The sponsor – in this case, the fiancé – must have the financial means to support their spouse.

If you cannot support your significant other in this case, what can you do? You can turn to a joint sponsor. This person is a third party that agrees to sign an affidavit, stating they will support the sponsor.

What is joint sponsorship?

RapidVisa discusses your options when aiming for joint sponsorship, along with discussing what goal this option serves. You can pick certain people to serve as your joint sponsor, but they must meet certain requirements first. They must be at least 18 years old and either have permanent residency or be a citizen of the United States. On top of that, they need a domicile in the country and also meet the minimum income requirements of the K-1 visa.

Is it always an option?

There are also certain situations in which a joint sponsor will not help. For example, if the non-American in question is from either Thailand or the Philippines, you cannot rely on a joint sponsor.

You may wish to contact legal aid if you choose to proceed with pursuing a joint sponsor. Dealing with matters involving visas, in general, can get complex, and you can run up against a lot of legal aspects that you have no experience with. Having a professional on your side can help you avoid costly mistakes and may streamline the visa application process as a whole.

Share this post:
Back to Top