Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Ready to bring your foreign national fiancée into the U.S.?

 Posted on July 01, 2022 in Spouse Visas

If you are a U.S. citizen, you are eligible to bring your foreign national fiancée into the country.

There are regulations to follow and documents to submit, but once you finish with the details, your fiancée will qualify for the required K-1 visa.

About Form I-129F

As the petitioner to bring your fiancée to the U.S., you must first file Form I-129F, the Petition for Alien Fiancée, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In this document, you must confirm that the two of you are free to marry. You must also confirm that the marriage will occur within 90 days of your fiancée arriving in the U.S. as a K-1 non-immigrant.

Background checks

As part of the Form I-129F approval process, USCIS will perform background checks on the two of you. When completed, the Department of State (DOS) will let you know when your intended can apply for the K-1 visa. Among the documents she must take to her visa interview are proof of her relationship with you and proof of a medical examination.


The DOS will issue your fiancée a K-1 visa that is valid for six months. Remember that a non-immigrant visa only allows her to travel to the U.S. and seek admission; it does not guarantee admission.

After marriage

Assuming you marry within the 90-day timeframe, your new wife must submit Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to USCIS. If USCIS grants lawful permanent residence before your second anniversary, she will receive two-year conditional permanent resident status and a Green Card, which is valid for two years. Obviously, there is much to do, but your immigration attorney can assist with the process of bringing your fiancée to the U.S.

Share this post:
Back to Top