Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

How can you help your child adjust to the US?

 Posted on December 01, 2019 in family-based immigration

Every year, thousands of people travel to the United States to become citizens, many of which reside in Texas. If you choose to immigrate with your family, it can be an exciting new journey. Unfortunately, there are adjustments that you also have to make. For children especially, it may be difficult to acclimate to a new home, culture and language. Culture shock is a real thing and kids do not always know how to deal with it.

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry explains that children can feel a number of negative emotions after a move. This does not mean that you made a poor decision in moving, it simply means that you need to pay extra attention to that child’s needs. Children may feel angry or anxious and instead of being able to talk about it, they may get into trouble or react negatively at school.

In order for your child to be able to adjust in a healthy way, you may need the help of a mental health professional. Professionals can help understand the issues that your children are having. For instance, if your child is having a rough time making friends in a new country, he or she will be able to empathize and find ways to help the child adjust.

To find a mental health professional that understands your culture, your language and what your children experience, you should speak with others in your cultural community or to the counselors at school to find someone who may have a similar background to you and your family.

The information provided is for educational purposes only and not to be interpreted as legal advice.

Share this post:
Back to Top