Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

How Can I Become a Naturalized Citizen?

 Posted on October 12, 2023 in naturalization & citizenship

TX immigration lawyerGetting U.S. citizenship through naturalization may seem like a daunting task, especially if you are doing it alone. The good news: If you have any questions about the process or need help with the paperwork, the team at Law Office of Jae Lee is here to help and guide you. A Texas lawyer who has a strong understanding of U.S. immigration and naturalization laws is key.

Why Is it Better to Have an Immigration Attorney?

It is always a good idea to talk to an attorney who can explain the law in terms that you can understand. There are several key time frames that must be met among other requirements. Under federal law to apply for citizenship, here are some things you should keep in mind:

  • Have had a green card for five years
  • Have a green card for three years, if you are married to a U.S. citizen
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Lived for at least three months in the state where you are applying for citizenship
  • Lived in the U.S. for at least half of the five years if not married to a U.S. citizen
  • Live in the U.S. from the date of citizenship application until you are granted citizenship
  • Must be a person known for good moral character.

 Why Would My Application be Rejected?

There is some preparation involved. You must find the necessary documents and work with an immigration attorney so that nothing falls through the cracks. Some of the most common reasons citizenship applications are denied are the following:  

  • Mistakes in the application
  • Forgetting to submit necessary documents
  • Failing the civics test
  • Having a criminal record
  • Unable to speak, understand, and write English

When it comes to language, depending on your age, you may be able to do the exam in your native language. For example, if you are at least 50 years old and have been a permanent resident for at least two decades, or if you are at least 55 and have been a permanent resident for 15 years, then the exam does not have to be done in English.

Schedule a Consultation with a Dallas Immigration Lawyer

If you are looking to become a U.S. citizen, you need a Dallas immigration attorney who can help you with the tedious process and ensure that all of the paperwork is correct. Contact Law Office of Jae Lee so that someone can help you every step of the way. We encourage you to call 214-295-3014 for a free consultation.


Share this post:
Back to Top