Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Can I Help Relatives Who Are Part of the Caravan Coming to the United States?

 Posted on September 11, 2023 in Immigration

Plano Family-Based Visas LawyerYou may have seen the images of thousands of migrants marching through Mexico to reach the U.S. border. Some of them may be your relatives, and you may be wondering if you can help sponsor them. In the United States, there are rules about who can bring family members from other countries to live with them, which is the focus of family-based immigration. If you are a U.S. citizen or if you are a permanent resident, you can help some of your family members come to the U.S. through special family visas. You can apply for these visas as long as you meet all the legal requirements. You need a Texas immigration attorney to help you if you hope to reunite with your loved ones.

What Paperwork Is Needed to Sponsor a Relative?

It is common for migrants outside of the United States to have relatives already in the country who want to help them. When this is the case, they may pursue a family-based immigration case. The family member can begin by submitting a "Petition for Alien Relative" to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. If the petition is accepted, the family can then apply for the proper visas. When an immigrant visa gets the green light, the migrating party may apply for a permanent residency card.

There is a lot of paperwork required to demonstrate family ties and updated vaccinations. Other documentation includes a form referred to as an "Affidavit of Sponsorship," which shows that the person sponsoring their family members can financially support them once they arrive in the U.S.

Can Families Apply for Immigration Visas?

When families want to apply for immigration visas, they have a few choices:

  • Immediate Relative Visas – These are for U.S. citizens who want to bring their closest family members to live with them in the United States. There is no limit on how many of these types of visas are approved yearly.

  • Family Preference – These are limited and are given based on the following preference system.

    • First preference: Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years of age.

    • Second preference: Immediate relatives of permanent residents, like spouses, as well as unmarried and adult children.

    • Third preference: Married children of U.S. citizens.

    • Fourth preference: Brothers or sisters of U.S. citizens.

You cannot sponsor other relatives like aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, or in-laws for immigration.

Contact a Dallas Immigration Lawyer

Immigration matters can be quite complicated. But at Law Office of Jae Lee, Plano immigration attorney Jae Lee, understands firsthand how emotionally difficult the process can be. Call 214-295-3014 for a free consultation.

Share this post:
Back to Top