Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. family-based immigration
  4.  » How do you immigrate when your sponsor dies?

How do you immigrate when your sponsor dies?

On Behalf of | Sep 13, 2021 | family-based immigration, green cards, naturalization & citizenship

We hope all goes well with your immigration, but unforeseen circumstances could bring your plans to a standstill. For instance, what happens if your U.S. sponsor/spouse dies before you receive your visa?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains how to navigate a principal beneficiary or petitioners’ death. This turn of events does not have to bar you from fulfilling your desires for citizenship.

Widowers and widows

Widows and widowers of U.S. citizens may apply for a green card within two years of their petitioning spouse’s or principal beneficiary’s death. This only applies if the two of you had a legitimate marriage rather than one arranged for a green card. If you and your petitioner or beneficiary separated when she or he died, or if you remarried, you do not qualify to apply for a green card. If you have children younger than 21, they may join you as derivatives.

I-130 petition

Did your spouse file the I-130 petition before her or his death? If so, you may advance with your visa application once you let the USCIS know about your spouse’s death. You must share this information so the USCIS changes the petition to an I-360 self-petition.

Perhaps your spouse did not file the I-130 petition before dying. If so, you may file the self-petition yourself. Whether you use the consular processing system or the adjustment of the status process depends on your current legal spouse status.


If another U.S. green card holder or citizen wants to act as your substitute financial sponsor, you could qualify to reinstate your application. Your new sponsor must submit Form I-864, which signifies the person agrees to support you financially in the States.

Hopefully, all goes well with your quest for citizenship. Understanding your options could make the process easier.