Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. naturalization & citizenship
  4.  » What is the 90 day rule?

What is the 90 day rule?

On Behalf of | Mar 29, 2021 | naturalization & citizenship

The majority of visas that the United States offers on a temporary basis are “single intent” visas. This means that the individual who is applying for this visa has non-immigrant intent. Essentially, the individual applies for a single intent visa for a single purpose, such as tourism or study. Once this purpose ends, the single intent visa assumes the individual plans to leave the United States.

However, things do not always work out this smoothly. For instance, it is possible for an individual to enter the United States on a study visa and decide to marry an American citizen. Whether or not these individuals can change their mind on single-intent visas and marry their American partners depends on the 90-day rule.

What is the 90 day rule?

The confusing part about the 90-day rule is that it is not a hard-and-fast law. The gist of the 90-day rule is that if a temporary visa holder of any sort tries to marry an American citizen or apply for a Green Card within the first 90 days of arriving in the United States, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) assume that the individual entered the US under fraudulent terms. In other words, USCIS will assume the individual lied in order to obtain a visa.

Is it possible to convince USCIS of genuine intent?

It is still possible in certain circumstances to convince a USCIS officer that your original intentions were genuine, but this is very difficult. Since September 2017, immigration officers have gone from the 30/60 day rule to the 90-day rule. Largely, this prohibits persons visiting the US on the ESTA visa waiver from attempting to change their immigration status while in the country.