Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. fiancé visas
  4.  » What are the requirements to receive a fiancé visa?

What are the requirements to receive a fiancé visa?

On Behalf of | Mar 5, 2021 | fiancé visas

If you are a citizen of the United States and you are engaged to someone in a different country, you may wonder what options are available to your fiancé to come to the U.S. to begin your life together. 

In these instances, it may be best for your beloved to apply for a fiancé visa. There are certain requirements that must exist, however, to qualify for this type of visa. 

The fiancé visa

According to FindLaw experts, a fiancé visa, also known as the K-1 visa, allows your fiancé to legally immigrate to the U.S. While the visa itself does not grant him or her citizenship, your fiancé may apply to become a citizen following your marriage. 

Because the fiancé visa is relatively easy to receive, many people have married non-citizens simply to bring them to the U.S., without intending to stay married long term. This is not what the K-1 visa is meant for. 

To prevent these types of marriages, the pathway to becoming a permanent resident after marriage is strict. For example, divorce within the first two years is likely to disqualify someone from obtaining permanent citizenship, in most cases. 

The requirements for the fiancé visa

In order for your partner to receive a fiancé visa, the following requirements must exist: 

  • You are a U.S. citizen 
  • You are engaged to someone outside of the U.S. 
  • You will marry your fiancé within 90 days of his or her arrival to the U.S. 
  • Neither of you is currently married to anyone else 
  • You and your fiancé have met or seen each other at least once during the two years before applying for the visa 

Certain exceptions exist which may waive the last requirement to obtain a K-1 visa.