Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. green cards
  4.  » What are the immigration options for relatives of U.S. citizens?

What are the immigration options for relatives of U.S. citizens?

On Behalf of | Dec 21, 2020 | green cards

Preserving family bonds is one of the guiding principles of U.S. immigration policy. For this reason, legal immigrants may be able to petition for visas or Green Cards that allow family members to reside in the states legally.

Immigrants who already have citizen status may sponsor an immediate relative, such as a spouse/fiancé, child or parent. However, extended relatives may also be able to come to the U.S. under the family preference system.

Immediate relatives

Parents, spouses and children (under age 21) of U.S. citizens have the highest preference for gaining legal permanent residency. However, to petition for a parent, the citizen applying must be at least age 21.

Fiancé visas (K-1)

U.S. citizens marrying a foreign fiancé may apply for a K-1 visa. However, the visa may only be valid if the marriage takes place within 90 days of the fiancé’s admission to the U.S.

Spousal visas (K-3)

A foreign spouse or fiancé who currently lives in the U.S. legally may already be eligible for a Green Card application. However, if the marriage occurred outside the U.S., it may be necessary to apply for a K-3 spousal visa.

Visas for stepchildren (K-2 and K-4)

Stepchildren may also be eligible for visas. Intended stepchildren of a fiancé may be able to obtain a K-2 visa, while stepchildren of a foreign spouse may qualify for a K-4 visa.

Visas for extended family

Each year there are a limited number of visas available for extended family members under a family preference system. If the sponsor is a U.S. citizen, generally first preference goes to unmarried, adult children (over 21), second preference to married children of any age and third preference to siblings.