Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. fiancé visas
  4.  » Are you preparing to bring your intended to America?

Are you preparing to bring your intended to America?

On Behalf of | Oct 16, 2020 | fiancé visas

You are no doubt excited about your coming marriage and bringing your fiancée to the U.S.

A K-1 nonimmigrant visa will allow your fiancée to travel to the United States, but what happens then?

Filing Form I-129F

As a U.S. citizen, you are the petitioner who must file Form I-129F, the Petition for Alien Fiancée, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. You must show that you and your intended are free to marry and that the marriage will take place within 90 days of her admission to the U.S. as a K-1 nonimmigrant. As part of the Form I-129F process, the USCIS will perform background checks on both you and your fiancée. The Department of State will notify you when she may apply for the K-1 visa.

Working with the DOS

The DOS will also perform a background check on your fiancée. When it is time for her visa interview, she must show proof of a medical examination along with proof of her relationship with you. Once approved, the DOS will issue a K-1 visa that will be valid for six months. Remember that this nonimmigrant visa will only permit your fiancée to travel to a U.S. port of entry. It does not guarantee admittance to the country. However, if all goes well, she will enter, and you can go on with your wedding plans.

Managing the process

Once you marry, your new wife must apply to USCIS for Adjustment of Status, which is the next step in obtaining legal permanent residence and obtaining a Green Card. Since there are many regulations and steps to consider, professional guidance is available to ensure that you do not make any legal missteps related to bringing your fiancée to America.