Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. family-based immigration
  4.  » What are the two types of family-based visa?

What are the two types of family-based visa?

On Behalf of | May 28, 2020 | family-based immigration

If you are in the United States and have family members in another country, then you may want to bring them here. They will have to go through the proper channels to legally immigrate here to avoid potential legal issues.

According to the U.S. Department of State, there are two types of visas you may use to bring family members into the country. To get the visa, you must sponsor the person, and you must also apply for the right type of visa.

Family preference

A family preference visa is for family members who are not closely related, such as a sibling. There is a limit on the number of these visas the government issues each year, which means even if the government approves the visa application, your family member may not get his or her visa right away. He or she may have to go on a waiting list.

Immediate relative

An immediate relative visa is only for close relatives, including your parent, child or spouse. There is not a limit on the number of this type of visas the government issues per year.

General requirements

To sponsor someone, you need to be a U.S. citizen or have a green card. You also must be at least 21 years old. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you can only apply for a visa for your unmarried child or spouse.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will handle the application process. You will have to go through an interview as well. Your family member will also have requirements he or she must meet as part of the process.