Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. naturalization & citizenship
  4.  » What steps are involved when bringing your fiancé to the United States?

What steps are involved when bringing your fiancé to the United States?

On Behalf of | Apr 6, 2020 | naturalization & citizenship

Fiancé(e) visas allow a person to bring their partner to the U.S. for the purpose of marrying them. You must follow certain steps when bringing your future spouse to this country for the first time, or you may be subject to denial. Being aware of each step in the process improves the chance that the visa will be approved. 

Petition for fiancé(e) 

Form I-129F is used to establish a relationship between you and your partner. The form is submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, who may ask you for further information about your relationship. The desire for marriage must be considered valid and not simply being pursued to gain entry to this country. If approved, the form is forwarded to the U.S. Department of State. 

Visa application 

Your fiancé must apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa at the nearest consulate or embassy, which will also have a copy of the approved Form I-129F. Along with submitting the proper forms, your partner will also undergo an interview. 

Inspection at a port of entry 

If your partner receives his or her K-1 nonimmigrant visa, that does not mean automatic entry into the U.S. After arriving at a port of entry, an officer with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection will perform an inspection. This inspection finally determines whether your spouse is permitted entry. 

Marriage & adjustment of status 

It is required that the marriage takes place within 90 days of the receipt of a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. The non-citizen spouse can then file for a Green Card, which entails filing Form I-485. If your marriage is less than two years old, your spouse will receive a conditional visa (which makes the Green Card valid for a period of two years). Recipients are permitted to apply to remove conditions after 90 days after receiving the visa.