Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. naturalization & citizenship
  4.  » What happens after you get a fiancé visa?

What happens after you get a fiancé visa?

On Behalf of | Jan 7, 2020 | naturalization & citizenship

It is impossible to tell your heart what it wants. If you fell in love with someone who happens to not be a U.S. citizen, then the chances are good that you will one day want him or her to come to Texas so that you can marry. The easiest way to bring your partner into the country is with a fiancé visa or a K-1 visa. 

The point of this visa, according to the U.S. Department of State, is to allow your partner to enter the country for the main purpose of marrying you. Once immigration authorities approve your fiancé’s visa,  he or she will get a packet of sealed documents along with the visa and his or her passport. The sealed packet contains the documents he or she turned in during the visa application process and some additional documents from the U.S. Embassy. 

Your fiancé should not open the sealed packet. This is very important because the packet must have the seal in place when he or she presents it to the DHS immigration official who is at the point of entry when your fiancé comes to the country. The official must receive this packet, the visa and your fiancé’s passport. 

Do keep in mind that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection can deny entry even with a visa. It is important to have all the documents at the time of entry to avoid issues. In addition, if your fiancé has children that he or she wants to bring into the country, then they can get a K-2 visa, but they must enter after or at the same time as your fiancé. 

The visa is valid for six months after the issue date, so your fiancé should be ready to come to the U.S. fairly quickly. Once he or she enters the country, you have 90 days in which to marry. This information is for education and is not legal advice.