Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » How can you apply for your SSN?

How can you apply for your SSN?

On Behalf of | Oct 14, 2019 | Firm News

If you are a Texas resident and received your citizenship through a K-1 Visa or through a work permit, you need a Social Security Number. Without a SSN, you cannot report your earnings to the U.S government. If you are not sure how to apply for your SSN, then you are not alone. Fortunately, the SSA makes the whole process simple. 

If you apply to work within the U.S, the SSA states that you can apply for an SSN card at the same time. The application for employment authorization contains a section that allows you to request your SSN. When the USCIS approves the application, the SSA issues you the SSN card. If you already have an SSN, then you receive a replacement card. 

In a case where you do not request an SSN in this form, then you can visit the SSA office in person. There, you can apply for an SSN once you have employment authorization. If you plan to request your Social Security Number, there are documents that you need. These documents include: 

  • Your birth certificate 
  • Your form I-766 
  • Foreign passports or military records if you do not have your birth certificate 

Once you request an SSN card, you should receive it within two weeks. This is, of course, after the SSA has received all of the necessary documents to process the application. If for any reason the SSA cannot verify the immigration document, it may take two extra weeks to receive a card. 

The above information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice.