Please Note: The Law Office of Jae Lee is open and functioning , as we are prepared to work virtually. We are here to serve you, and are offering Virtual Meetings, Virtual Consults, Phone Consults.

My office can process your case without having to meet in person. I will do my best to make the process as simple as possible. I will be in constant communication via text, phone, or email to answer any questions you may have as you go through each step of the process.


Communicate with your attorney every step of the way.


Complete an online quesionaire


Upload requested documentation into my Client Portal.


Forms will be mailed to you for signature with a prepaid return envelope.


Attorney will review your case and mail to USCIS if everything is complete.

First-Generation Immigrant

Helping Individuals Through Professional Legal Counsel.

As an immigrant myself, I know firsthand the joy of coming to live in America. Let me help you pursue your dreams.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. green cards
  4.  » How do I apply for a green card?

How do I apply for a green card?

On Behalf of | Jul 26, 2019 | green cards

A green card allows an individual to permanently live and work in the United States. If you are eligible for this document, you must follow the application process carefully to successfully receive green card status.

Follow these steps to apply for permanent U.S. residency when you are already living in the country.

Select your eligibility category

 The green card process varies based on your eligibility category. You may be eligible as a family member, employee, refugee, crime victim or a member of another group.

File an immigrant petition

 Depending on your category, you may be able to file your own petition. Otherwise, a family member or employer must file one on your behalf as applicable.

Check visa availability

 The U.S. Department of State allocates a limited number of visas by category. Generally, you must wait until a visa becomes available in your category before moving forward with the green card process.

Complete and submit your green card application

 Apply using Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This form requires a filing fee of $1,225 for those ages 14 to 78. You must also submit specific documentation to support your application depending on your eligibility category.

Visit the Application Support Center

 After submitting Form I-485, you will receive notice of a scheduled appointment at your local Application Support Center. At this appointment, you will provide fingerprints and undergo required security and background checks.

Provide additional documentation

 Some applicants must attend an interview. Others will receive requests for additional evidence and documentation. You must resolve these requests before application approval or denial.

Green card applicants receive a written decision notice. The application process takes between seven and 38 months depending on the circumstances of your request. If you receive approval, you will later receive your conditional Permanent Resident Card, which provides two years to resolve the conditions of your approval. Otherwise you must renew your green card every 10 years. If you receive application denial, you can appeal your case with the U.S. Department of State.