Schedule a Free Consultation diamond214-295-3014

Plano Fiancé Visa Attorney

Plano, Texas Attorney for Fiance Visa Services

Lawyer in Collin County for Marriage-Related Visas

If you are an American citizen who wishes to marry someone who lives in a foreign country, you may be unsure about your options. You may be debating whether to finalize your marriage in another country and then bring your partner to the United States, or you may be wondering whether it may be preferable to seek authorization for your fiancé(e) to join you in the U.S. first. Though either of these options may be used, it is often faster and easier to secure a visa for a fiancé(e) and get married after they come to the U.S.

If you are in need of immigration assistance, you can rely on the Law Office of Jae Lee to provide exceptional legal counsel and effective representation. With a personal history as an immigrant from South Korea, Attorney Jae Lee knows first-hand the obstacles that families may experience in these situations. He has extensive knowledge of the requirements that apply for those who seek fiancé visas, and he can help you and your partner begin your lives together in America without delay.

Requirements for Fiancé Visas

K-1 visas, which are typically referred to as fiancé visas, are non-immigrant visas that enable American citizens to marry foreign-born partners. A K-1 visa will allow a person to enter the U.S. on a temporary basis, and after getting married, the foreign spouse will be able to receive an adjustment of status and become a lawful permanent resident. To be granted a K-1 visa, certain criteria must be met, including:

  • The person sponsoring a foreign fiancé(e) for a visa must be a citizen of the United States.
  • Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, including religious or cultural practices or extreme hardship, the sponsor and the fiancé(e) must have had a face-to-face meeting within two years before submitting a visa application.
  • The couple must verify that they are both legally eligible to be married. Their marriage must be valid under the laws of the United States, and if either partner had previously been married, they will need to show that the marriage has been legally terminated.
  • A couple must plan to finalize their marriage within 90 days of the fiancé(e)'s arrival in the U.S.

Once a fiancé visa is granted and the foreign fiancé(e) comes to the U.S., the couple will have 90 days to get married. After becoming legally married, the couple must then apply for a Green Card. This Green Card will be conditional, and it will expire after two years. Before the expiration date, the couple will need to apply to remove the conditions on the Green Card, and once this is done, the foreign spouse will be able to live in the United States permanently.

Determining the Best Options for Helping a Partner Immigrate to the U.S.

There are numerous pathways that may allow a person to enter the United States and take steps to become a lawful permanent resident. A person may apply for a visitor visa, and they may then get married to an American citizen, after which they can apply for an immigrant visa and Green Card. However, there are a few issues that may affect these types of immigration cases.

In some cases, it may be difficult for a person to obtain a tourist visa that will allow them to visit the U.S. Even if a visitor visa is approved, a person who then marries a U.S. citizen will face scrutiny from immigration officials. If these officials believe that a person entered into a fraudulent marriage in order to gain permanent residence in the United States, their application for a Green Card could be rejected, and they could even face deportation.

For couples who are looking to begin living together in the U.S. as soon as possible, a K-1 visa is often the best and most efficient avenue for immigration. This option is usually easier and faster than getting married abroad and applying for a CR-1 or IR-1 visa for a spouse. As long as all requirements have been met, fiancé visas are often the ideal option for couples in these situations.

Contact Our Plano, TX K-1 Visa Lawyer

If you want to learn more about your options for bringing your partner to the United States through a fiancé visa, contact us at the Law Office of Jae Lee. Our experienced immigration attorney is available to answer your questions. Schedule a free consultation by calling 214-295-3014 today.

Back to Top